2009 Domaine Paul Autard Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvee La Cote Ronde


Happy Valentine's Day to me!

I have such affection for Chateneuf-du-Pape. From the Rhone region of France, these grenache blends were what got me obsessed with wine in the first place. So when it came to a wine to celebrate Valentine's Day, I could think of nothing better.

Beautiful garnet in the glass, the wine showed real subtlety and restraint. When it was first opened, there was a tartness to the fruit with a hint of menthol and white pepper. But, as the wine opened up, cassis, tobacco, and baking spices emerged. Medium in body, round in the mouth, there was quite a lot of tannin, yet it was so integrated and smooth you almost couldn't believe it, especially with just 5 years of age. The finish was lovely, long and smooth. The balance and tastiness makes this is a wine that can easily be gulped down, paired with food, or served to non-wine drinkers, but it's refinement should be savored. It got better as the night went on, so much so, that I saved just enough in the bottle for me to enjoy a glass tonight, to see what extra time does to this exceptionally made bottle of wine.

Labels: , , , ,